One thing to remember when choosing a wedding officiant is this:
The wedding officiant sets the tone for the entire ceremony. I would recommend meeting your wedding officiant before sealing the deal to ensure that you are compatible… over the phone you may hear one thing…. but there is something about that personal face to face meeting that provides you with the surety that they can deliver what you expect. Personality is key – you want to be able to hear passion in the officiants voice and they need to have a genuine love for people.
A lot of wedding ministers/ wedding officiants have a set way of doing a ceremony with no customization. It is key to have a wedding officiant who can personalize your ceremony. No couple is the same, so why should every ceremony be standard? Answer: It should not be. Your ceremony should be exactly how you want it to be.
Here are some key questions to ask your Wedding Officiant:
1. Can our ceremony be customized?
2. Generally how long are your ceremonies?
3. Approximately, how many ceremonies have you performed?
4. How far in advance do I need to book you? What is the deposit?
5. Can we say our own vows?
6. Are you able to communicate with us throughout the process – if we have questions?
7. Do you help us find different elements to incorporate in our ceremony?
8. We have kids and want to include them – how can this be done?
9. Can you assist with the marriage license process?
10. How long have you been performing ceremonies and what do you like best about it?
In conclusion, remember to go with your gut. If you have a weird feeling – trust that instinct. Your wedding is one of the most important days of your life and the Ceremony is the part that all remember the most. Pick a wedding officiant who is full of love, and who can incorporate humor, romance and customize your wedding the way you want it.
Hope this summary helps.