So you have found a hair and make up artist (maybe through Instagram, or maybe your wedding planner or family have referred them). First thing to do before hiring them is:
- Research– take a look at the vendors website, reviews, social media pages to get a feel of their work and how previous brides may have liked or disliked the process; talk with whomever referred them to you and find out what personal experience (good and bad) they have had with the vendor.
- Call the vendor – get a feel of their personality. No sense on moving forward if there is no personality or if you feel there is no connection. Ask specific questions to get a better understanding of the service you will get.. here are some examples:
- How long have you been in the business?
- Based on the styles I have chosen – how much would this style cost? How long will it take?
- Is there additional cost for travel/ parking?
- What is the deposit? When is final payment required?
- At what point is final number of persons requiring makeup to be given
- Will you have an assistant?
- Does the cost cover a trial? If no, what is the cost for a trial?
- Will you be the actual artist that is doing my hair/ make up on the day of my event or will it be an associate?
- Is there an option for you to stay until after the ceremony- if I would like to change my look for the reception?
- Are lashes/ brow shaping included in the price?
- Do my bridal party have to prepare/ any special instructions before they get in the chair?
- Any touch up advice?
- How long will my face / hair last?
Get a trial: At least a few months prior to your wedding day, it is recommended that you get do a trial. Pick the look that you want and have the artist do you hair and makeup similar to how it would be done for the big day. Reason, I suggest a trial a few months prior is: Suppose you don’t like the look? If you need to select another look and schedule a second trial – at least you will have time to do so.
Trials are 100% necessary. On the day of your wedding, you are on a very tight schedule. On your wedding day – If you don’t like the way you look and the limo has arrived to pick you up from the hotel to take you to your ceremony – what do you do then?
These are just a few tips on selecting your make up and hair artist – If you agree on these items or have additional items to add- feel free to comment.